CanvasCon: Online & Free in 2020!
On Thursday, Oct. 15, beginning at 9am PST, our LMS company, Canvas, will be hosting a global conference called CanvasCon, but no need to leave home because this year it is ONLINE and FREE! As a national conference, this one can be a challenge for professors to attend in most years, but this year it is open to attend from home for free and it is chock full of useful sessions about using Canvas effectively. They have big names this year too: LeVar Burton from Reading Rainbow and Sal Khan from Khan Academy!
The overall agenda is as follows:
- 9am-11:30am PST: Keynotes (the big guest speakers are here)
- 11:30am-1:30pm PST: Vendor “Hall” about programs and services that integrate with Canvas
- 1:30pm-3:30pm PST: Breakout Sessions-small group sessions with many presenters & topics
CanvasCon is for everyone involved in managing and building Canvas courses for students. Whether you’re new to Canvas or an experienced user, there are sessions intended for you! Since there are many sessions, you may want to check out the agenda. Once you’ve signed up, you can log in with your email address and indicate your interests, which will filter your results to items most appropriate for college professors. You can specify topics, days, times, and lengths of sessions, as well as your Canvas “level.” Remember, Canvas is for K-12 and higher ed and is global so sessions are labeled to help you identify the ones most suited for you. NORAM is North American sessions, and HE is higher ed. Attend one or many sessions over the conference!
Here are a few sessions that stand out on the Oct 15 agenda:
- 10:20am Data Privacy Keynote with Canvas Privacy Officer Daisy Bennett
- 10:27am Levar Burton Keynote
- 11:51am Sal Khan Keynote
BREAKOUT HIGHLIGHTS (1:30-3:30pm on-demand sessions)
- Achieving Equity with Canvas Breakout session
- Course Design Scalability – The Superpower you Need! (on Cidi Labs)
- Data Privacy Breakout session with Canvas Privacy Officer Daisy Bennett
- Designing for Kindness
- Strategies for Effective Assessments & Learning in a Remote Environment
We’re excited to attend and encourage you to attend as well. Registration closes this Friday, Oct. 9 so make sure you don’t delay!
Note: If you can’t make a session (or you want to attend more than one that is scheduled at the time on Oct 15, don’t worry! All sessions will be available on demand on October 16th at www.canvascon.com.
Please note that free events held with open enrollment from many schools and organizations by external organizations present challenges for attendance tracking. They can often count toward service hours but are unlikely to count toward specific, local programs such as PGI or SPOT recertification.
Faculty Center for Learning Technology | Mt. San Antonio College