Hi there Professor!
Welcome back for Fall Semester 2021! As you return to campus along with your students this fall, we want to offer you a warm welcome and wishes for a good experience in the upcoming term.
Even though campus is reopening, we want to acknowledge that there are still challenges for both our professors and our students. It is a great time to use Canvas to support courses of all types in order to allow for greater flexibility (fitting with your own course policies) as we forge ahead this fall.
We applaud you for all of the technology learning under pressure that you have done this year. We know it has not been easy but it has been critical for so many reasons. As you finish your preparations for fall, we want to remind you of the resources and tools (so many tools!) that are available to you this fall. Tools offer ways to communicate and engage students and allow you to create flexibility and support to students as they pursue their educational goals.
Resources for Start of Fall
Please remember that the Canvas Faculty Center is an open resource in Canvas that can help you with many things! Here are a few resources that are especially useful at the start of term:
- Start of Term reminders/checklist
- More Checklists and Resource Docs
- Settings and Roles specific to our Mt. SAC Canvas account
- Frequently used Faculty Service Requests
- Apps available in Canvas
- How to Fix Problems
- How to add accommodations for extra time in Classic Quizzes, extra time in New Quizzes, or extra time on assignments
SPOT Recert Day: Friday September 17
- 1-2pm Regulations Update for SPOT Recertification
- 2-3pm Easy & Engaging Video with Canvas Studio
- 3-4pm Harmonize: Improved Discussions in Canvas
- 4-5pm What’s New in Canvas
Updates in Brief for Fall 2021
- The Tool Line-Up for Fall 2021 with info about tool changes
Harmonize (discussion tool) Pilot is Open for Fall
Pronto is Back!
You will notice that Pronto has been extended starting in Fall for another academic year, but with some caveats (mainly, the live video features which were rarely if ever used in our prior Pronto license were discontinued this time). If you like having a flexible communication feed that resembles social media in your classes, be sure to check out Pronto.
Cidi Labs now has TidyUP … and a New Default Color
Note that the default color in Canvas has been transitioned between summer 2021 and Fall 2021 from red (#7a0606) to blue (#0073a7). This affects the Cidi Labs headings that use the default color template, both past courses and new ones. A few added themes in Cidi Labs use the Mountie maroon as their default color. You can find them in the theme options with the prefix “Mt. SAC.” We hope to offer more themes with alternate default palettes in the future.
- Do you have documents that need to be converted into an easier format to make accessible? Consider using the free CCC Converter tool.
- Check out our recent post on the Faculty Accessibility Center. Take the 1-hour Accessibility for Windows self-paced course in Mt. SAC POD Connect.
Getting Assistance & Technical Help this Fall
- If you have questions or need help with Canvas please use the Canvas HELP button to contact support by email, chat, or phone.
- For technical questions or issues, especially if they involve enrollment, contact the IT Help Desk (email@example.com).
- Need some one-on-one help walking through setup or design in Canvas? Email the Faculty Facilitators! These peer faculty are available for one on one assistance. firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Note that all of the above forms of help forward cases to us at the FCLT if we are needed. If you want to reach out to us directly, check out our Office Hours every Thursday from 2-3pm. At the start of term, the FCLT has extra “Open Lab” Hours for more opportunities to get assistance. For now all FCLT services are still remote and hosted in Zoom. Office hours and Open Labs are always drop-in hours; no advance sign-in is needed but for security purposes, you do have to log into POD Connect and click “Session Details,” then “Show more” to see the stable Zoom link that is used for these sessions.
Fall Open Labs & FCLT Instructional Design Office Hours
- Tuesday, Aug. 24, 10-11am
- Wednesday, Aug. 25, 2-3pm
- Thursdays (every week): 2-3pm